These days, when I have a problem with my computer, I immediately take screenshots of the solution just in case I want to put the guide on this website. For months, my XP desktop would show that is “Acquiring Network Address” continuously on the network icon; however, the Internet connection was perfectly fine. If you have an active Internet connection but they always shows “Acquiring Network Address”, this guide is for you.
Remove “Acquiring Network Address” Notification
To remove the “Acquiring Network Address” notification, do the following:
- Right click on the network icon in the notification area and click Open Network Connections
- Right Click on the connection you are having issues with and click Properties
- On the General tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties
- On Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialogue, click the Advanced… button
- Click the WINS tab and change the NetBIOS Setting from Default to Enable
- Press OK on the dialogues
You should no longer see the message
Your connection was waiting on NETBIOS information from the DHCP server–probably a router–which does not provide this information.
Looking for something else?
Get free books and software from Windows Guides
Comment Form RSSIf you have a computer help question, click here to leave it on the forums instead.