This is a quick trick that will allow you to force grouping of similar items on your task bar. This can be very useful, for example: if you have a few browser windows open — but not enough to switch on the auto grouping — and you want to see them collectively.
To get this to work, do the following:
- Press WINKEY+R. (Or click Start > Run)
- Type Regedit and press enter.
- Go to HKEY_CURRRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named TaskbarGroupSize in this location.
- Set the value to 2 or higher to set the minimum number of values to initiate item grouping.
This should take effect immediately; although, you may need to restart if it doesn’t work straight away.
Tour Why Subscribe? Free Vista Books Toolbar
Surprisingly useful tip!
will this work for vista too or no? if not, how do i do it on vista, because i have to have like 10 open on vista before it will group them and its ridiculous.
Yes, this works with Vista and XP.