Update: Here’s the list of Best Free Antivirus Software [2012 Edition]
We’ve reviewed a number of Anti-malware programs on Windows Guides over the years but it seems some programs soon become bloated, include stolen definitions from other products, or just get outshined by new (or improved) competition. In this guide, I share the top five free anti-malware programs for 2010.
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
- It’s free.
- It detects most malware.
- It’s free…
- It uses relatively no system resources (the most I’ve heard/seen is 38MB RAM.)
- It just works really well.
Download Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Genuine Validation Required)
- The program is effective at finding malware.
- The program uses little memory and wont bog down your machine.
- Malwarebytes constantly update their definitions (which temps other companies *ahem* Iobit to steal them.)
Panda Cloud Antivirus
Panda Cloud Antivirus provides real time protection by networking the PCs back to servers that analyze threats and proactively protect you from the latest exploits. The program is free and I tested it for some time and was very happy with it. I still use MSE but if you like the idea of community-based protection, give this one a try.
Download Panda Cloud Antivirus
Update: Here’s the list of best free anti-malware programs for 2012.