All My Storage Features
If you’re using Windows 8, a great app to access your SkyDrive or Dropbox files, without filling your hard drive, is All My Storage. All my storage is a simple app that ties in your cloud files with an explorer-like view of your local files; thus providing access to all your files through one common interface. All My Storage allows you to search your local, Dropbox, and SkyDrive files in one go and even comes with a simple media player to stream media files from your cloud accounts.
Install All My Storage
1. Install All My Storage from the Windows App Store (how do I install apps from the Windows Store?)
2. Once installed, press the Windows key/button, type “storage”, and click All My Storage in the search results
How to Use All My Storage with Dropbox or SkyDrive
1. To link your online accounts, open All My Storage, bring up the app bar (Windows Key + Z), and click Link New Account
2. Give your account a name i.e. “Dropbox” and select the storage provider. Click Link
3. All My Storage needs access to your Dropbox or SkyDrive account. Click Allow to proceed
You’ll now be asked to link your account with All My Storage. Below are the steps for Dropbox; however, the SkyDrive steps are pretty much the same (only you wont need to log in with SkyDrive as you’re already signed in to your account with Windows 8)
4. Log in to your Dropbox account
5. When prompted, click Allow so All My Storage can access your account:
6. You can now view your Dropbox/SkyDrive files:
7. From here, you can add files and folders via the app bar:
How to Use All My Storage with Your Local Files
To access your local files with All My Storage:
1. Open All My Storage, bring up the app bar (Windows Key + Z), and click Link New Account
2. Give your account a name i.e. “Desktop”, select “My Local File System” as the storage provider, and click Select Root Folder
3. Click Files; locate and select the folder you wish to add i.e. Desktop:
4. Click Choose this Folder and then click OK
5. Upon returning to the Link Another Storage Provide Account screen, click Link
6. Click Allow
You may now access your local files through All My Storage.
What do you think of All My Storage? Would you prefer to continue using the Windows applications for Dropbox and SkyDrive separately or is this a step in the right direction for consolidated access to your files?