We all know Google Chrome is a wicked fast and secure browser (the only left standing at Pwn2Own this year) – and I would say that many of us are using it. I also know that many of you out there are using FireFox and are quite attached to it because of its extensive extension support, but did you know that Chrome now has over 4,200 extensions? Today I’m going to walk you through installing extensions in Chrome and showing you some of my favorites.
- Get Google Chrome.
- Navigate to the Extensions page within Chrome.
- Search for your faves, and click on “Install”. It’s that easy!
I don’t have many extensions in my Chrome, but here’s a short list so you can get an idea how versatile these extensions are:
- Robot Theme, inspired by Android
- Chromed Bird (Twitter client)
- One Number (Notifications for GMail, Google Voice, Google Reader, and Google Wave all in one icon)
- Mini Google Maps (pops up a small Google Map)
- IE Tab (Opens an Internet Explorer tab within Chrome – VERY useful for pages with Silverlight, etc. Our tactical development team where I work develops a lot of web applications only compatible with IE6, and using this I can have all of them open within Chrome tabs at once)
There are also extensions that take screenshots of an entire webpage, organize RSS feeds, open preview documents (PDF, ppt, etc.) in Google Docs, and more. Extensions in Chrome FTW! After you’ve installed your extensions, click on the tools menu and then “Extensions”. From here you can tweak their settings and uninstall any extensions. Now go get Chrome and enjoy a better browsing experience!
Mike recently graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems and currently works as a data manager in the organ transplant department for a large healthcare company, mainly working with Oracle databases and systems administration and occasionally doing some web development. On the side he enjoys playing with the Android platform and Windows Media Center. He also spends time as an administrator on the Mintywhite Forums.
Search Windows Guides