Web Analytics
   Register •   Forum Home •   FAQ      Login    
   Windows Forums Register
Donate a Dollar to Pay for Next Year’s Web Hosting It is currently Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Installation to USB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 am 
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

I want to make an full installation of XP (OK with Vista and 7). Not just an PE version but really a full version. Anyone manage with that and want to share their experiences.

My goal is to make a 32 GB bootable with XP and all my favorite applications as portables so I can have many different version of Office and so. Even if I am at a hotel I shall have my own Operating system with me.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Re: Installation to USB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:05 pm 
Established Member
Established Member

This isn't recommended because it will use flash drive so it will stop working in some months. Flashes stop working after certain amount of the writes/cycles and after that they are useless. But it's possible to use some live versions of the XP. USB is only good for installation of XP.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 am 
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Ok, thanks for the answer but it's a litte strange anyway because I have a USB Pendrive Linux and it had been working good for over a year now.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 am 

I found this article at usb.info:-
The life cycle of a flash drive is a question which has been around for a long time. There are many factors which contribute to the longevity of a flash drive. Today, lets look at some.

I feel there are three main components which effect the life cycle of a USB flash drive.

Memory type
USB connection
Chassis or case
Flash drives use two primary types of flash memory. There is SLC and MLC memory. SLC is Single Level Cell memory and MLC is Multi Level Cell memory. GetUSB.info did an in-depth write-up about SLC and MLC flash memory if you’re interested, but for this article we have:

SLC memory is good for about 100,000 write cycles.
MLC memory is good for about 10,000 write cycles.
Most UFDs use MLC memory because it’s cheaper to make and allows manufacturers to offer more storage in a smaller space. It’s difficult to figure out which type of memory a UFD has, but it doesn’t matter anyway - most flash drives are more limited by other factors.

Next, lets look at the limiting factor of the USB connector. This is the actual socket which connects the UFD to the host computer. Doing some research, most USB Type A socket manufacturers provide a specification called Mating Durability. The spec is around 1,500 connections. WOW, that sure limits the life cycle, but I doubt many would connect the UFD to a host over 1,500 times.

Last, the chassis or case help the USB life cycle. The chassis helps the UFD look cool, but also provides a small amount of protection against wear-n-tear. UFDs are exposed to all sorts of shock. Whether it be physical shock or electric shock, it’s important to treat your UFD with care. True, there are some indestructible flash drives out there, but the point here is try not to let external factors instantly destroy your drive. The best method for shock protection is A) don’t drop, slam or smash your UFD and B) keep the cap on so the connectors don’t rub or touch another object which could create electric shock.

So, to sum everything up: Given you don’t physically ruin your drive, you have about 1,500 connections and about 10,000 write cycles before you can expect the USB life cycle to become questionable.

..... The full article can be found here:- http://www.getusb.info/what-is-the-life ... ash-drive/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
randomchaos wrote:- I've seen from 10,000 to 100.000 to 1,000,000 quoted for the write cycles [on different sites!], but if one maybe takes the "conservative" and safer figure as a guide [10,000] ......!?! - I personally would take the lowest figure as a guide. - As for the "Mating Durability", if you used the flash drive contents often, then you may [or may not!] tend to leave it in the pc a lot too ..... or forget to disconnect it! So although the figure of 1500 physical connections to the pc is relevant, it's not THAT relevant...... IMHO!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:07 am 
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member

i did. win7. on my 36gb flash. also used ramdisk plus and installed XP. but it always had errors.

We will soon get our own domain name.

Profile E-mail