Web Analytics
   Register •   Forum Home •   FAQ      Login    
   Windows Forums Register
Donate a Dollar to Pay for Next Year’s Web Hosting It is currently Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: reformat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:49 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

How does one reformat a computer to make it like new when purchased with out having the reinstallation Cd's. It's a Dell 2400 with XP home. The wife volunteered me to fix her coworkers desktop. When I turn on PC and input password, it loads about half way and then I get a blue screen that tells me that there is some sort of major problem and the PC needs to shut down so it doesn't harm the PC. Is there a way to reformat from hard drive like my HP. I have been able to get it into safe mode twice before it does the same thing. The owner of the PC does not know if she has the recovery disc's any more. I was wondering is there a way to do this with out ordering a set of recovery disc's from Dell. Thanks for the help.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Re: reformat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:20 am 

@ bassfisher6522 - My XP-Pro PC has a "System Recovery" [am not reffering to "System Restore"!] function whereby I can reformat to the "factory shipped" state. I have used it many times in the past, as when I was a newbie to PCs I kept messin' up! :lol:[No disk required!! But my Vista laptop does not have this function] - So if all else fails [even System Restore! :lol:] I can format WITHOUT a disk, as System Recovery is "built in"! - If it's on your PC then it should be here:- Start/All Programs/System Recovery/System Recovery <<< [Yes,twice!] :)
A "click of the mouse" and the PC is reformatted to factory shipped state, no disk required!! Or likewise, pressing the F10 key also does the same thing [on MY PC] ..... reformats to the factory shipped state. [but it may or may not be a different "F" key on YOUR PC than F10] :)

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Yes, my HP desktop has that very same option. On this dell there is no option like that at all just system recovery. I have tried both F2 and F12 buttons that show up on the boot screen and it goes into a screen that gives me some choices, boot menu, normal, ide hard drive and CD ROM drive. I can choose any one of them and it goes to the blue screen that tells me it need to shut down before irrevocable damage is done. I've also tried every other F button I can think of and including the escape key. I just ordered the recovery disc's from dell and they gave me the website for the drivers to download. I appreciate your help any way. I keep you posted as to my results when the disc's come in.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:59 pm 

bassfisher6522 - Yeah, let us know what transpires! - Also, it might be worth sending XxBizxX a PM on here ..... this problem you have sounds like it may be his "department", so to speak!! :)
P.S. ..... I take it you can't get the PC into "safe mode" either ......wonder if it's a virus?!? [F8] :?

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Yeah, no safe mode no anything for that matter. Just that dam# blue screen. I thought I had it licked at one point. I did get into safe mode w/networking and downloaded some updates from MS and IE 8 started and checking for malicious software and low and behold there was. Then the reboot and back to the blue screen. So it's a waiting game until Cd's arrive.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:07 pm 

bassfisher6522 - I got a bit of a "deja vu" feeling when I first read your original post, as am sure I've seen a similar post on here somewhere recently, regarding a very similar issue ..... and ComboFix was suggested as a remedy .... plus installation disk! I can't remember what the title of the post was though, or what forum it was in! ......... :?

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

UPDATE:
I just received and email from dell today....there is some form of problem with my order. What was going to be a 5 day wait is now a wait until Sept., 3. No other explanation giving, just an Order Delayed email. That sucks and just my kind of luck. So the wait continues.

Profile E-mail