Web Analytics
   Register •   Forum Home •   FAQ      Login    
   Windows Forums Register
Donate a Dollar to Pay for Next Year’s Web Hosting It is currently Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do I clean my Vista registry?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:49 am 

jpbrogan - Yeah I agree with what you say about defragging the registry, what I tend to do is clean out any empty and obsolete keys first and then perform the registry defrag and as you say, it does seem to make a big difference. :)

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:44 pm 
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Yes the CClean is the one

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 am 
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Registry fix 7.1 for me is better then ccleaner but is not free :lol:

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:46 am 
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

I've heard that CC Cleaner is so great cleaning the registry, but I'm not so impressed. The program I've found to clean really well, that hasn't screwed anything up is Advanced System Care. I'm a bit suprised being that it does so much, I thought it may lack a bit in this area. I did a screen shot of CC Cleaner, Advanced System Care, and System Utilities. I ran them in this order, doing a clean after each screen capture. See the results.

Errors found using CC Cleaner:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35410427@N02/3911681255/

Errors found using Advanced System Care AFTER running CC Cleaner:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/391 ... 29af_m.jpg

And Finally, Errors found after running Advanced System Care, using System Utilities 2009:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/391 ... bf64_m.jpg

I just knew I needed to do some registry tidying up.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:27 am 

snooperz - Yeah but "different" cleaners/utilities find "different" stuff to clean, just like different Antispyware programs find different objects than other AntiSpyware programs! Same with AV's too, that's been my experience anyhow.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:26 am 
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

randomchaos wrote:
snooperz - Yeah but "different" cleaners/utilities find "different" stuff to clean, just like different Antispyware programs find different objects than other AntiSpyware programs! Same with AV's too, that's been my experience anyhow.

Very True! I've used Adaware, Spybot, Iobit Security 360, and malwarebytes anti malware, they find different items. (usually not many items lately, my computer wears protection). I haven't had any inflictions running mulitple anti-malware programs at the same time. I know running multiple anti-virus is a no-no. I'm using Comodo Firewall with Defense+, Avast Antivirus with On access protection Control, and Iobits 360, and haven't seen any conflicts. Of course with a slow computer, it may bring it's speed down. Presently I'm running with 4GB of PC6800 with a Q9550 quad core processor with a Mobo that's got a 1333MHZ FSB, so that hasn't been an issue.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:47 am 

snooperz - Well any of the above that you mention serve to "compliment" your AV I suppose. I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials [which disables Windows Defender by default, as MSE is an AV+AntiSpyware "all in one"]] .... but now and again I do a scan [for peace of mind!] with Malwarebytes' or Spybot or the new "Security 360" from Iobit [same people who gave us Advanced SystemCare] - I've never had any conflicts with my AV though with Malwarebytes', Spybot, Iobit Security 360,AdAware or Windows Defender [I used Defender when I had Avast AV] .....but as you rightly say, "two real-time protection" AV's is a no-no! :)

Last edited by randomchaos on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 am 

Back on topic.........

randomchaos wrote:

I 3rd that :D

For the "safe" choice i'd recommend CCleaner, it's easy to use and does a decent enough job. It doesn't dig too deep so you know you can't go too far wrong it........however, always backup when prompted.
I just don't like all of the bells & whistles the other programs carry. I can't help feeling it's in over it's head (so-to-speak). CCleaner gets the job done quickly and efficiently.....no fuss.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:01 pm 

rsvr85 - Exactly!! [CCleaner doesn't "dig too deep"] - Some are rather "fierce" though, TOO fierce! The word "nCleaner" suddenly springs to mind...... !?! :lol:

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 pm 

Yeah i have tried that once before....too aggressive for my liking, and probably for the majority of MW readers too. I uninstalled after the first scan (no clean). I think i saw it featured here actually (old-school :lol:), Rich did warn that it isn't a tool for girls............so..........:lol:

Profile E-mail  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next